PDA

View Full Version : differance?

shorty
10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
hi , hope you guys can help me , ive got a 1960 short fleetside . and am wanting to slam it. but when looking on this site for parts it starts at 63-66 . Is there some kind of difference in front suspention on a 60 to a 63? And if there is a difference , what would be my best plan of attack so i can get desired results? thanks

CPPAaron
10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
The 60-62 trucks have torsion bar front ends were the 63-up are a coil spring trucks.

shorty
10-21-2010, 03:35 PM
The 60-62 trucks have torsion bar front ends were the 63-up are a coil spring trucks.
so, what do you think the best thing is for me to do in this case? is there so kind of swap that would work? thanks

NEVERDUN
10-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I am not familiar with your exact truck but usually you can adjust the bolts at the back of the torsion bar to lower the ride height.

shorty
10-21-2010, 07:15 PM
I am not familiar with your exact truck but usually you can adjust the bolts at the back of the torsion bar to lower the ride height.
yea i guess the make would help ,1960 gmc short box fleetside and a 66gmc longbox , would you know if the torsion bar suspention can be changed to a coil spring suspention thanks for you time

CPPAaron
10-22-2010, 07:37 AM
To upgrade to coil style front ends. Some people remove crossmembers from a later application and put them in these 60-62 trucks.

shorty
10-23-2010, 07:27 PM
To upgrade to coil style front ends. Some people remove crossmembers from a later application and put them in these 60-62 trucks.
thanks for the info Aaron, one more question. ,, what year crossmember would be best for a slamed drop and would it be a direct bolt in , or would there be lots of mods. thanks again Aaron . And yea i know , that was two questions .

maddmark1
10-24-2010, 07:08 AM
I have a 1960 chevy apache 3/4 ton truck which had torsion bars up front, i did a crossmember swap with a 1972 K20 truck and it bolted up fairly easy. i believe it has a total of 14 bolts to remove. 7 on each side. out of the 7 of each side i think 5 where complete bolt on. so 10 bolts will bolt right up which is 5 on each side. the others will have to be drilled out and install bolts. The other thing you may have to switch is steering components like idler arms, pitman arm and so on. these i had a little difficult time lining up because i forgot to take them off the donor truck and the stock pitman arms from the 60 truck have a different angle. Things to consider for a swap, find a year that has disk brakes already on like the 72 k20 truck however this was a 8 lug truck which matched the rear also 8 lug. you may want to look for a 5 lug truck. Another idea is to just get the crossmember without A arms, spindles, and brake components and then buy CPP lowering spindles/ brake components and A arms for the airbags. this will save you a lot of money then to upgrade everything els after the swap.

shorty
10-24-2010, 09:07 AM
I have a 1960 chevy apache 3/4 ton truck which had torsion bars up front, i did a crossmember swap with a 1972 K20 truck and it bolted up fairly easy. i believe it has a total of 14 bolts to remove. 7 on each side. out of the 7 of each side i think 5 where complete bolt on. so 10 bolts will bolt right up which is 5 on each side. the others will have to be drilled out and install bolts. The other thing you may have to switch is steering components like idler arms, pitman arm and so on. these i had a little difficult time lining up because i forgot to take them off the donor truck and the stock pitman arms from the 60 truck have a different angle. Things to consider for a swap, find a year that has disk brakes already on like the 72 k20 truck however this was a 8 lug truck which matched the rear also 8 lug. you may want to look for a 5 lug truck. Another idea is to just get the crossmember without A arms, spindles, and brake components and then buy CPP lowering spindles/ brake components and A arms for the airbags. this will save you a lot of money then to upgrade everything els after the swap.
thanks for the info, that helps take the guess work out