PDA

View Full Version : TCI 4 Link Kits, 48 Ford truck

wildearp
11-16-2010, 05:33 PM
It is pretty well known (H.A.M.B) to some that the tubing is too long in this kit. It is impossible to get the correct rear axle centerline without removing 1 1/8" from all four tubes. Install it, check it, and then you will be cutting. If you want to keep your threaded rod ends the same length, you will need to tap the holes deeper in the tubing. You can't move the front mount forward, because it is tightly butted up against the rear running board mount.

After this, you will need to remove a similar amount of material from the Panhard bar.

Be sure the front mounts from the 4-bar are on the correct sides. It is easy to get this wrong, the instructions don't cover it well, and there are no good pictures of the install. This was true when I did mine a few months ago.

Also, there are two massive pieces of steel, approx. 1/2" thick in a trangle shape with three holes in them. Nothing in the instructions mentions what this is for. If you call TCI, most folks don't know what they are for. At least one guy did................. After installing the kit, more than likely the coilover springs will hit the inside of your frame rails. These triangular pieces are mounted on the lower coilover mount to move the shock inboard and give the spring clearance. This raises the backend up a bit and kinda looks like a cheezy way to solve the engineering problem. By cantilevering the shock load off the mount, I worry that this may end up breaking the mount and it looks cheezy. Cheezy.