PDA

View Full Version : 1950 Chevrolet I.F.S. installation questions/issues

crash66030
12-10-2012, 06:17 AM
I am installing my first I.F.S. in a 1950 Chevrolet truck. I bought kit E4754M2IFS from CPP. All parts look to be well made but the instructions are rather vague. I think part of my problem is the last builder of this truck Frankensteined it together, or that is my suspision. The drivers side of the frame had a large square notch out of it in order for the steering box to be bolted halfway down through the frame. They had welded a lot of plate and bracing in place for the steering box to bolt into place. I haven't had time to do any research as to what the original steering box steering shaft in a 1950 should look like to determine if this is a part from a different year truck. I had to entirely dismantle the manual steering box to remove it and pushed the housing and steering shaft back up into the truck to get it out of the way. I am also installing Mustang 2 power rack once the I.F.S. is in but I will have to connect the steering shaft to the rack with the supplied universals and shaft (which shouldn't be a problem for me). My question is what to now do with the housing tube? Do I cut it (the 4 bolt flange) off and make a lower bracket/holder to hold it rigid-like to the frame? If anyone has done an I.F.S. in the 47-54 Chevrolet truck with power rack I would love to hear what they ran into. Thanks in advance/

Kyle

CPPAaron
12-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Your question is pertaining to the steering column? Yes; if you are re-using your stock column using a lower floor mount to the firewall and what is known as a column saver is what is needed. Here is a link to the column savers:
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/Column_Saver.htm

As stated the dimension you need to measure is the outer diameter of the column.

As for the IFS cross-member mark your stock axle centerline and use this as your guide to square up the crossmember to the frame and that gets welded in as well as the upper hats.

Please also feel free to email or call us with any questions. We would be happy to help.

seanpat107
05-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Your question is pertaining to the steering column? Yes; if you are re-using your stock column using a lower floor mount to the firewall and what is known as a column saver is what is needed. Here is a link to the column savers:
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/Column_Saver.htm

As stated the dimension you need to measure is the outer diameter of the column.

As for the IFS cross-member mark your stock axle centerline and use this as your guide to square up the crossmember to the frame and that gets welded in as well as the upper hats.

Please also feel free to email or call us with any questions. We would be happy to help.

When you say to use the axle centerline to align the crossmember do you also put the centerline line of the crossmember on the axle centerline?