PDA

View Full Version : Power or not? Big brake or not?

Radtexas
09-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Have a Camaro RS convertible. I only plan on just street driving with no hard racing. Do I need power brakes or will manual be fine. Also plan to go full disc. Do I really need the big breaks or will be standard disc brakes be fine? Just trying to spend money wisely and manual would be cleaner in the engine bay.

CPPAaron
09-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Big brakes are recommended with 17" or larger diameter wheels (also that would be the minimum wheel size)
due to the larger wheel the more mass is spinning and it is harder on the brakes.
The power booster will ease pedal feel. Basically, less effort on the drivers foot. Boosters need a minimum 18" of vacuum at idle to function. So this would be a determining factor as well.

I would be happy to assist over the phone with you as well and go over any and all options. When you have a free moment please feel free to contact me directly.

Radtexas
10-01-2013, 05:37 AM
I was looking at doing a C5 conversion for the front brakes. I read where some take the drum hubs with some machining and adapter brackets can use the C5 setups. When goggling this I cam across a setup on ebay that you have listed, but I could not find the same on your cpp site. The part number is 6472WBK-C5R. This says it will work on factory drums. I am in planning stages still and looking to use an 8.8 explorer setup with disc on rear. Do you see any issues with running this combination? My project has no brake components so I will be replacing power booster/master.