Thread: 69 chevelle tubular control arms

Default 69 chevelle tubular control arms

hey peeps. i am considering ccp's tubuler control arm kit. any one had a positive experience with a set of these?

Default lesson learned

so i bought the front/rear totaly tubular control arms.after waiting a month to get them,when they finally arrived,i was not impressed.the driver side upper did not fit, it had clearence issues.ccp's solution was for me to bend my frame out of the way.(after spendindg big bucks to powdercoat my frame) not hapenin'. the lower arms had pinholes in a few of the welds, the rear uppers came in the wrong color. so if you want my advice....spend the money and buy a set from global west.

Please send me some pictures to aaron@classicperform.com this does not sound right.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Default CPP upper tubulars didn't fit my 64 cutlass

I had the same issue noted above,exact. I preferred CPPs style the best but the Driver's side hit the frame flange. It to took a month to receive. I called the tech line and was told to clearance my nice powder coated frame. What a waste of my time. I drove them 100 miles round trip to return to summit..
    I was watching Overhaulin a few nights later and they had the same problem with a 55 chevy. CPP gave them great service and swapped out for a new set.. This is obviously a problem for a lot people. The shafts just have to be a half inch wider. The factory didn't punch the bolt holes in the exact same spot on these frames. It's too bad for CPP Im just in the beginning stages of my restro and was going to spend thousands of dollars, Brakes,rear control arms,lowers.

Default Pic of a-body frame

See how the tube hits the frame and will not travel down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for posting the picture. I have heard of this a couple of times over the years but customers have always been able to sort it out with a very minor adjustment to the A-Arm frame mount so a change to our arm didn’t really seem necessary. Keep in mind we have installed these arms here on many different project cars and have never seen this problem first hand. Because this issue has come up so infrequently we assumed that there were some A body cars out there that for some unknown reason have tiny bit wider A-Arm frame bracket, and those customer always get the Arms to work so this didn’t seem like a big deal.

Anyway, after looking at your picture close and seeing the issue you were having we decided to look into it a little closer to see if we could come up with a solution for all applications. After installing a set of Arms on our frame today we have found a way to make a couple of minor changes to the fixture and to the upper arm tube that we are confident will solve this issue once and for all, regardless of the size of the A-Arm frame bracket. This change will go into effect immediately starting with our next production run, which looks like it will be next week. Thanks for your help in getting this issue resolved.

If you are having a clearance issue please let me know about it like Jhall704 did, we are here to help and CPP wants to make sure everyone receives a quality product
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Quote Originally Posted by jhall704 View Post
    I was watching Overhaulin a few nights later and they had the same problem with a 55 chevy. CPP gave them great service and swapped out for a new set.. This is obviously a problem for a lot people. The shafts just have to be a half inch wider. The factory didn't punch the bolt holes in the exact same spot on these frames. It's too bad for CPP Im just in the beginning stages of my restro and was going to spend thousands of dollars, Brakes,rear control arms,lowers.
    The Overhaulin Episode you saw on TV was with a set of TCI control arms (not a CPP set) Just wanted to clear that up. We also are here to assist our customers and provide the best service we can!
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Quote Originally Posted by ss69badass View Post
    . so if you want my advice....spend the money and buy a set from global west.
    We also carry Global west, Hotchkis, and Heidts. All these companies make great products and are built here in the states. So if your budget allows for spending $1200-$1500+ for a set of upper and lower arms we do sell those as well.

We are proud to offer our upper and lowers in a set of 4 (Upper and lowers) for $733.00. Built in Anaheim,CA
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Cool tubular control arm controversy

CPPAarron i am glad you looked into the a arm issue. i am building a 69 chevelle and i really prefer to use products from the same manufacturer .that are working as a complete system .i dont like piecing stuff together & hoping it all works together .brakes spindles control arms etc..

Default Upper control arm fix

Aaron thanks for listening and it sounds like you guys went a step above.