Thread: CPP Hydroboost problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CPP Hydroboost problems

Hey everyone I installed a hydroboost kit from CPP about a month ago and I am having a problem. First let me tell you about my setup

1967 Chevrolet C10 with a 454
    Mach Performance Serp. Kit with GM Type II p/s pump Remote resrvoir (with vent).
    Factory p/s box

I have all the lines setup according to the instructions.

When i first put it on it had a lot of peddle kickback after bleeding a lot the peddle kick back went away. now the hydroboost unit whines like crazy. It starts off quite then gets louder. its almost unbearable it sounds similar to a supercharger whine but louder. I know its the hydroboost becaused i open the hood and the thing is screaming. also when i shurt the truck off the fluid level raises to the point of overflowing. Its really starting to annoy me. CAn anyone help me out

just saw i put 67 its a 76 sorry

hhheeellloooo? i am hearing things like the march performance pump doesnt put out enough pressure and the resvoir isnt large enough. any truth?

Info from Our supplier:

It’s not the hydroboost unit making the noise, instead being the March PS pump and reservoir (being where the problem is). What this gentleman needs to do is to reduce the flow on the pump by either installing the Heidt’s PS101 valve or swap out the actual PS pump output fitting in the pump to one with a smaller orifice (which will slow the pump flow down back to stock levels):

www.classicperform.com
    CPFCV-K Power steering fitting reducer (pressure) $ 19.00
    Reducing pump flow back down to stock levels will handle a good majority of the issue, though the installation of this reservoir below in place of the March remote reservoir is also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/Gen-IV-6-Hydroboost-Reservoir-with-Filter.html

We have had some customers experience difficulties over the years when using hydroboost systems with mini pumps and the typical aftermarket remote reservoirs (low on capacity and do not offer proper de-aeration engineering). Some have managed to get their setups running decently, though most have found that the only way they could get the PS system to work right is by swapping out the remote reservoir to this unit from PSC with the internal filter that has the excellent side effect of straining air out of suspension in the fluid:

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/Gen-IV-6-Hydroboost-Reservoir-with-Filter.html

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/Gen-IV-8-Hydroboost-Reservoir-w-filter-.html

You also need to make 100% certain that all fittings, hose and adapters between the reservoir and the PS pump have a MINIMUM ½” inner diameter, otherwise the PS pump will cavitate and always run noisy (yes, I am only talking about the pump feed hose between the reservoir and the PS pump)(all other hoses in the PS system will be AN-6 or 3/8). Some customers I have worked with have stated that the remote reservoirs are shipped with inadequate AN-8 sized feed nipple with less than a 7/16 ID = guaranteed cavitation issues per the bottleneck inside of the adapters (the factory usage of these pumps ran a minimum 5/8 ID in the pump feed by comparison).
    Last edited by CPPAaron; 02-15-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

thank you for the reply. i will try this. however the fitting kinda seems like a bandaide. if i need to change the pump please suggest something(if you know) that will work.

A standard GM type II PS pump from GM
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax