Thread: 500 series steering box for 1962 impala problem

Default 500 series steering box for 1962 impala problem

okay so ive purchased a new 500 series box from cpp along with all new steering parts...they sell complete packages for the steering components.......along with 2inch drop spindles with 13inch big brakes and tubular uppper and lower control arms......heres my problem i still havnt hooked up the power steering pump or even got the engine running but sitting on the hoist with tires off the ground i cannot turn the wheels side to side freely......it almost seems like something iinside the box is jamming up. i can turn the wheels from straight all the way right no problem but from straight to left it jams up.......any one know......could it be i havnt greesed anything yet i figure it shouldnt matter since its still on the hoist and i should be able to turn it side to side with out jamming......i can use some force and get it past the point that it jams its not a ton of force but enuff for me to be concerned about..this was purchased less than 5 months ago to.

thanks
    tyler

These steering boxes are pretty tight from the factory and will lossen up some when hydraulics are introduced into the mix... So this should be nothing to be concerned about.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

hey cppaaron.....so i finally got my car driving now and i am curious about something......i believe the 500 series box i have is acting back words........so at low speeds like around a parking lot the steering is really stiff.....and when im driving its super looose feeling.....id think that it should be opposite to that.....loose at low speeds and tight at high speeds.....ive purchased all new steering from you guys....tie rods innner and outter, center link, pitman, upper and low tubular control arms........drop spindle kit with big brakes.....the works man so it is all new.....i went with the type 2 power steering pump with clip on res from unisteer......and its the high flow....any ideas..thanks

Sounds like the pump is not correct... if the RPM is up the pump is producing slightly more pressure. To me it sounds like you need to look into a standard volume; 1000-1200PSI GM pump.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Quote Originally Posted by CPPAaron View Post
    Sounds like the pump is not correct... if the RPM is up the pump is producing slightly more pressure. To me it sounds like you need to look into a standard volume; 1000-1200PSI GM pump.
    that doesnt seam to make sense to me.....if anything wouldnt to much pressure help it at low rpm......but it doesnt matter of rpm......if i rev up the motor while im sitting it still doesnt get easier to steer at a stop...and if that was the case about volume then it would get easier......what would happen if i got the pressure and return back wards....i do have to double check that but am 99 percent i got them right....

and jsut so you know in your catalog you guys have the same pump and reservoir for sale.....i called you guys at cpp asking if i can buy just the clip on reservoir and the guy i talked to said that you guys buy it as a package from unisteer and you guys cannot just sell me the reservoir so he told me to contact unisteer......SO I DID and they said that yes they sell them to you guys and it is the hi flow one with the clip on reservoir and that the standard pump wont do i need the hi flow as it would be the same one id purchase from cpp anyway......so instead of them passing the buck onto you guys and you guys passing the buck on to them can we try and come up with a solution.....maybe i did something wrong....i dont know its possible i have the return and pressure back wards...what are you thoughts other than its the pump....thanks

The pressure and the volume are too different things. The pump you have sounds like its for a rack and pinion (lower pressure) 1000-1200PSI is a gear box pressure. STANDARD volume is needed. Check to see what pressure your pump is producing and you certainly need a standard volume pump.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Excellent, thank you for help and thank you for your very prompt reply to my enquiry. Cheers.

solitaire card games

Oh sometimes the steering box is tight you can contact the service center and they will loose this or might be the problem is with pump so surely you'll connect the service center. I hope soon you come out with this problem and drive freely