Hey CST. I'm Vito, and I just purchased a 71 Chevy C10 2wd Stepside 'shop truck'

As most of you know, a 'shop truck' just means, its a piece of junk. The good news is it runs, and drives, but just not how I want it to.

Its got a stock 6 in it, and 3 speed column shift which I absolutely hate. I really want to put a 5 speed m/t on the floor and not sure which way to go about it. I get different ideas, and stories from everyone I speak to. Some say don't bother, and to get a LS motor with an automatic trans, new or junk yard, and go from there. I don't want to do that. I really want to keep the stock 6 and just update the trans. Some have said 85 camaro trans works, others say 88-89 s10 works great, but there are some issues with the location of the floor shift in relation to the bench seat, etc.

I'm going to buy the drop spindle kit, and big brake kit here on CPP. I'm also going to buy the rear multi leaf drop kit for the rear. Im thinking 2" in the front and 2" in the rear, but might need the 3" in the rear? Any one done this yet? I definitely do not want to waste money on an air system.

Also, I would like to put American Racing Thrust Gun Metal wheels with the chrome lip on this truck. Any one have experience with the backspacing? Pictures? what size did you use? Dropped or stock? 17 x 8's in the front? 17 x 10's in the rear? Any info would be great for a newbie like myself. Anyone have a set for sale in the NY tri-state area?

I don't know if I can most any pics here, but will try!

Anyone in Westchester County NY, Putnam County, or The Bronx NY let me know!

Vito
71 Chevy c10
71 c10_swb_1.jpg71 c10_swb_2.jpg71 c10_swb_3.jpg