Thread: 1957 Chevy Truck IFS

Default 1957 Chevy Truck IFS

Howdy, just bought a well restored 1957 Chevy 3100 Truck for my 15 yr old son and I to rebuild.
    The truck has straight axle and leafs in front. It’s got a 327 and new auto trans, manual brakes in back and disc up front. We really want to improve the ride and handling so looking for your expert opinions on what IFS to choose. We aren’t looking to lower it to the ground, this is more about performance and steering than look. Do we have to pull the engine and front clip to install the IFS? My brother has a mechanic shop and we will be doing everything with his help so we don’t screw this up.
    It is manual steering right now but will be upgrading this during process and adding A/C so any suggestions around Power steering units and A/C also would be appreciated.
    I truly appreciate any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmachill View Post
    Howdy, just bought a well restored 1957 Chevy 3100 Truck for my 15 yr old son and I to rebuild.
    The truck has straight axle and leafs in front. It’s got a 327 and new auto trans, manual brakes in back and disc up front. We really want to improve the ride and handling so looking for your expert opinions on what IFS to choose. We aren’t looking to lower it to the ground, this is more about performance and steering than look. Do we have to pull the engine and front clip to install the IFS? My brother has a mechanic shop and we will be doing everything with his help so we don’t screw this up.
    It is manual steering right now but will be upgrading this during process and adding A/C so any suggestions around Power steering units and A/C also would be appreciated.
    I truly appreciate any thoughts.
    The engine mounts will need to be updated to a side mount like CP4810-S. The mounts like the crossmember type will interfere with the rack and pinion.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax