PDA

View Full Version : 68 GTO Sits Too High After Stage One Kit Install

68Resto-mod
02-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I am doing a nut-n-bolt resto-mod on a 68 GTO convertible. About two years ago, I ordered the Stage One suspension kit with 2” drop rear springs and front/rear disk brake conversion kit with 2” drop spindles. Now that I finally have the body and engine back on the chassis, I was expecting to see a lowered stance. Instead, it appears that the car is actually sitting higher than stock. Granted, there is a few hundred pounds of front clip, seats, interior and folding top yet to be installed. The upper ‘A’ arms are tight up against the bumper stops with the engine in and the back is sitting high as well.

I run about 220 lbs. I can stand on the front frame rails and the springs don't budge.

I am hoping the new springs will settle after driving it for a while. I am concerned that I have paid a fair amount of money to get that "dropped" stance and will end up with an early 70s jacked-up look.

Has anyone else had experience with this issue?

68 Resto-Mod

CPPAaron
02-14-2013, 08:48 AM
road time is the only way a coil will settle. It has to go though normal driving cycles and such to loose tension.

68Resto-mod
02-15-2013, 11:47 AM
road time is the only way a coil will settle. It has to go though normal driving cycles and such to loose tension.

Thanks Aaron

I am looking forward to some serious road time later this summer. Brakes and suspension are 100% CPP. Shouls be a fun weekend driver.

jrdeleon0430
04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Informative post. I have a 69 Custom S so the info here applies to me as well. Thanks for sharing.

68Resto-mod
04-01-2014, 09:24 AM
My GTO is finally running under its own power. Not ready for the open road yet but I have test driven it around my development. The front and rear are settling in nicely. I am hoping it drops just a little more so the negative camber goes away. This will give more room for positive caster.
Thanks CPP!