PDA

View Full Version : 500 Series Gear Leaks

mcothren
11-10-2013, 06:23 AM
Purchased and installed a 500 series gear, hoses and pump several months ago on a 1967 Camaro. Works great but has developed a leak around the "adjuster" on top of the gear. The gear was installed and used as it was originally setup so the adjuster has not been used. I've put about 2000 miles on it with no other issues. I'm looking for your recommendation before trying to figure it out myself. Is there an O Ring that could be replaced to resolve this? Thanks.

mcothren
11-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Purchased and installed a 500 series gear, hoses and pump several months ago on a 1967 Camaro. Works great but has developed a leak around the "adjuster" on top of the gear. The gear was installed and used as it was originally setup so the adjuster has not been used. I've put about 2000 miles on it with no other issues. I'm looking for your recommendation before trying to figure it out myself. Is there an O Ring that could be replaced to resolve this? Thanks. For those of you that may be curious about this...... Ended up having to call Tech Support (no answer here). Was told there are no serviceable parts and that I must pull the gear and return it for inspection. Not what I wanted to hear but can't drive the car with the leak so it must be done.

mcothren
04-24-2014, 07:02 PM
I'll follow-up on this since it is finally resolved. Boxed the gear up and returned it at my expense-- $50 for UPS ground. Called to follow-up a week after it arrived at CPP. Was told it was being repaired and it would be another week before it was returned. Finally received the gear almost 2 months from the time I shipped it. Reinstalled it and put about 25 miles on the car. Gear leaked in same place. Called and asked what had been done to the gear and was told it had been repaired and bench tested before returning to me.

Asked for a replacement gear and was told that might be a problem since I "modified" the gear. My modification consisted of grinding about 1/4" off of one of the bolt heads to allow it to clear one of the header tubes. This in no way caused the gear to leak. Long story short....it took another 2 weeks to get them to agree to send me a replacement----had to be escalated two levels to get approval---that was only after several phone calls and emails from me. They charged me for the gear on my credit card and provided a postage paid label to return the old gear. It took them 10 days from the time the original gear was delivered to them to credit my card.

It's a big job to remove and install one of these gears so I was not happy that I had to do it a couple of times. I'd say someone needs to look into their process for repairing and bench testing. I will say though that the people at CPP that I dealt with were courteous and tried to be as helpful as they could. It just took way too long for this to be resolved.

I've put about 200 miles on the car and the gear is working great with no leaks so far.

zeeshan030
04-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Asked for a replacement gear and was told that might be a problem since I "modified" the gear. My modification consisted of grinding about 1/4" off of one of the bolt heads to allow it to clear one of the header tubes. This in no way caused the gear to leak. Long story short....it took another 2 weeks to get them to agree to send me a replacement----had to be escalated two levels to get approval---that was only after several phone calls and emails from me. They charged me for the gear on my credit card and provided a postage paid label to return the old gear. It took them 10 days from the time the original gear was delivered to them to credit my card.