Thread: toyota power steering conversion

Default toyota power steering conversion

I have a 1955 f-100 and I would like to use the Toyota Power steering conversion.

Problem is I have the original 223 straight Six so I have power steering pump bracket problems. I have converted to 12 volts so I have a alternator which hangs on the driver side of the engine leaving very little room for the pump.
    Where and how do I hang the pump?

Next problem is I have the original 3 speed trans. with the column shift (3 on the tree) which I want to retain. Is there enough room to install the Toyota steering box and attach to the stock steering column and retain the stock 3 speed linkage?

Has anyone done this conversion on a six cylinder, column shift truck?

Good Morning,

The pump bracket seems like the least amount of your worries. That should be an easy fabrication or modification. The 3 on the tree there is no real direct conversion for. I'm sure with enough thought it could be done but we have no real info on doing this.

Sorry we cant be of much assistance for you on these.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Default Toyota Steering Swap 56 F-100

There is a lot of information available for the Toyota Power Steering Swap on 56 F-100, but when it comes to the pump and what to use, I have found very little. I tried to find someone who could tell me what replacement pumps would work with this swap and have not got any helpful response. I understand I can go with an eaton or saginaw pump. I also understand one hose is low pressure and the other hose is higher, but not above the 600psi-700psi range.

Is there a specific pump that works well with this swap and if so, exactly what pump am I looking for? At this time, I would like to keep my options open to either an eaton or a saginaw.

Pretty much any saginaw pump can be used... Basically; get what you can fit to your engine combination. In most cases an adj flow valve is required to help with pressures and fell. Here is a link to that:
    Classic Car and Truck Brake, Steering and Suspension Parts
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Default ps 3 on the tree conversion

[QUOTE=Jim Beardsley;3035]I have a 1955 f-100 and I would like to use the Toyota Power steering conversion.

Problem is I have the original 223 straight Six so I have power steering pump bracket problems. I have converted to 12 volts so I have a alternator which hangs on the driver side of the engine leaving very little room for the pump.

Next problem is I have the original 3 speed trans. with the column shift (3 on the tree) which I want to retain. Is there enough room to install the Toyota steering box and attach to the stock steering column and retain the stock 3 speed linkage?

Jim
    I have a 55 f-100 that i converted over , i can take pics and try to explain what I did if you are still interested, i'm still trying to figure out a way to get the horn to work since the original wire goes thru the hollow steering column shaft, email me if interested still! mine has the 239 v8 y block and I made it work.

The CPP column is a good budget minded column. being an economy type column it is a good choice for someone on a budget. for the higher end builds the IDIDIT 312-50v8 dumps would be a premium line choice.

The rag joint would be a 1DD to 3/4x30. as for the stock wheels you will see a small gap between the wheel and the column. On Ididit brand they make a small ring that goes on the back of the wheel that fills this gap.

Default Jim Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beardsley View Post
    I have a 1955 f-100 and I would like to use the Toyota Power steering conversion.

Has anyone done this conversion on a six cylinder, column shift truck?
    I have the same problem but have not started to replace steering box Think I will go with the CPP. 400 series There may be some problems with lining the column with the box for a straight hook up with a 3/4 in. by 3/4 in. 30 spline. but with some thought and some prayer I think we can do it. as for the pump I saw on [You Tube] where a guy made a bracket and bolted it to the side of the engine, gen and pump on one flat bracket. and one belt you could use a double pulley on the gen. I to refuse to loose my three on the tree. That's one of the neat things about the truck. The 223 is another. Let me know if you have had any luck with it all. You can Email me at capebuffalo29@gmail.com

I think that this information is the best.
    Last edited by Byydhelo; 06-20-2015 at 06:03 AM.
    [TABLE="width: 790"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl64, width: 150"][URL="http://freeannualcreditreportgovernment.com/"][URL="http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=20882341"]Smartmatic[/URL][/URL][/TD]
    [TD="class: xl65, width: 64"] [/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66, width: 64"] [/TD]
    [TD="width: 64"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]