Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brakes binding need help asap

Default brakes binding need help asap

So I finally had the cpp brake kit (drum to disc up front)put on even bought all new hard lines from front to rear.While the the car is up on stands the wheel spins freelly no bindind or uneven caliper install.71 chevelle drives fine but there's time when ill either take it for a 30 minute drive with no issues Or just to the store 5 minute drive and I can feel the pedal is hard and brakes are engaged.
    After I park the car for awhile its normal again.

I thought maybe the lines being close to headers it heats up and causes the brake fluid to expand but
    Like I said sometimes a quick 5 min drive would cost this also(brake line up against firewall like stock).

I hope somebody helps me asap we been having a 70 degree weather in sf cali on winter and would love to cruise thanks again in advance.

This sounds like there is pre load in the master. Try adjusting the pedal up a bit and checking when the masters installed it does not pre-ingage the piston when the vacuum kits in. You can also pull the vaccuum source and drive it and see if it still does this.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

what I did is adjusted the pedal closer towards firewall that's what you mean right?seems like it helped but won't know till I drive it more.ill also try to unplug vacuum if it happens again ill keep you posted.by the way since I adjusted the pedal its now far from the brake light sensor so what I did is bend the metal tab a bit just enough to hit the sersor,that should be okay right?(sensor all ready srewed in all the way)

Let me know how that works for you after you drive it some.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Quote Originally Posted by CPPAaron View Post
    This sounds like there is pre load in the master. Try adjusting the pedal up a bit and checking when the masters installed it does not pre-ingage the piston when the vacuum kits in. You can also pull the vaccuum source and drive it and see if it still does this.
    K aaron I drove is like 5 miles and notice in the freeway a strong smell like brakes.although
    It wasn't. As bad as before you can tell its still touching.I can't adjust the pedal any more cus if I do the brake lights stays on(the brake sensor where it touches tthe pedal is adjusted all the way)I even tried adjusted more than I could and just bend the metal tab but that's it.

I didn't try to unplug vacuum if I do won't that make my brake pedal hard?if I unplug it and it releases the brake what does this mean?I also asked which rod inside the masterr cylinder was used eitheer the short or long and I was told the shorter one.

By pulling the vacuum line it will tell you if the booster is preloading the master under pressure. At that point you would shorten the pushrod between the master and the booster itself.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

ok aaron i finally had time to trouble shoot and found out that iam leaking brake fluid right at the bleeder screw,i thought it was loose so i checked and it was actually super tight.so i loosen a bit plugged a vacuum bleeder pump and got non stop of air bubbles so i thought it was that but again every time i pump the bubble just kept coming.thats when i noticed the bleeder valve might be the wrong size on there.

all it takes is not even a 1/4 turn and the valve moves side to side so bleeding cant be done by vacuum.i tried the 2 man system one pumps and one releases the bleeder screw and that works fine but after driving for awhile i noticed fluid leaks out a bit.

any idea on the right size of the bleeder screw?i might just order the speedbleeder it shows you have 3 different sizes.i cant even go with the ones on there cus i have a feeling there the wrong size.theres no loose its either verry loose or thight.please aaron help thanks in advance....

oh yeah i got the 11.5 kit for 71 chevelle with the upgraded rotors and powder coated calipers.

The speed bleeder will work great in this application and with the issue you are having. The speed bleeder is a little taller and has more threads. The bleeder you need is #SB1015 10mmx1.5 pitch
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Is this a common issue with the bleeder screw that comes with the caliper?I bought some speed bleeder from local parts store ill leep you posted thanks.

No not very common.....
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax