Thread: best mc and booster

Default best mc and booster

First post here! I bought a cpp brake kit for my 1969 Nova. It is part number 6474WBP-S-UG. I bought it second hand off a guy who bought it from CPP. He installed it to be able to move the car only, never drove it or connected the brake lines. He told me he got a good deal on a larger brakes. My car currently has stock manual 4 wheel drums and I am excited to get this upgrade on the car. My car is weekend, nice weather driver, and I am not interested in keeping it original looking. I will probably, eventually put rear disks on it too. I have a few questions. First, which master cylinder should I go with. Second, should I get a booster for it? I know it will make the pedal easier to push but I really don't want it to be too "touchy". Any advise?

Oh, also one of the spindle lugs does not have the hole drilled into it to put the cotter pin into. Do I just go ahead and drill through the spindle?

Thanks,
    Kirk

Mario

You can power or manual , but the majority go power. Plain and simple it just takes less pedal effort.

Here is a link to the booster kit.

Classic Car and Truck Brake, Steering and Suspension Parts

Do you have a recommendation for booster size? What is the benefit of a larger booster?

What about the spindle "lug"? I am calling it a lug because I have no idea what it is called. The part that the bearings ride on. Do I just tighten the castle nut, figure out where the hole should be and just drill it to the size of the cotter pin?

Mario

When it comes to boosters bigger is always better, but sometimes we just can't fit the bigger boosters in there. So if you're running a small block with stock valve covers then you can run the factory style 11" booster. If your running tall valve covers or an LS1 then you would want to run an 8" dual diaphragm booster so you have enough clearance between the valve cover and booster.

The smaller the booster the less power it will put out. For example a 7" booster will hold enough vaccumn for 1-2 good brake pedal hit. After that it will like manual brakes until it gets a chance to build up more vacuum. With 8, 9 or 11 boosters you won't have this issue becuase the booster is able to store more vacuum.

If you are going to drill the cotter pin hole than use your spindle to help mark the spot. Tighten the nut to 15lb. feet of torque and back it off one flat and drill your hole. If you don't choose to do this i can sell you a spindle for 99.00.