5-Speed Gearbox Install

Gears, gears, gears! There is nothing like shifting gears in a Classic Truck.Gears, gears, gears! There is nothing like shifting gears in a Classic Truck. It is especially true when it comes to modern drivelines and components that are buttery smooth from one gear to the next. While we all have experienced the older, clunky three- and four-speed transmissions that leave us wanting more rear end gear for highway use, there is an alterative to the old transmissions in the form of a five- or 6-speed from Hurst Driveline conversions. In this case, I am going to use the Tremec TKO-600 five-speed manual transmission that has a rating to handle up to 600 hp, that is 144 more than my 456hp rated 383 Chevy small-block. The horsepower rating is not the only reason why I choose the TKO-600, the taller First gear ratio allows transmission to handle the extra power, plus cruising along at highway speeds is much improved with the taller Fifth gear. Gearing also provides increased gas mileage due to Fifth gear overdrive. You will experience as much as a 36-percent reduction in rpms while in Fifth gear depending on the rear gear ratio.

Photo Gallery: 5-Speed Gearbox Install - Classic Trucks Magazine

Photo Gallery: 5-Speed Gearbox Install - Classic Trucks Magazine

5-Speed Gearbox Install | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...