Thread: Soft pedal with the new brakes

Exclamation Soft pedal with the new brakes

I just installed a stock spindle upgrade to front disks. It came with the master, prop valve, calipers and the brackets were from another company.

They look great. But, the pedal goes to the floor. They seem to work...but how good?

I have bench bled the master twice. bled the entire system at least 6 times.

If i block the master off, the pedal is hard. With just the prop valve and the front line connected is it still soft. Should it not be hard? Can air be in the prop valve or it be defective?

Can I just run the lines off the master and try it? Maybe put an adjustable valve on the rear if this fixes the pedal.

What size connectors are on the master?

'51 Chevy Car
    Manual brakes
    Dual master / prop valve on the firewall
    Disk front / drum rear
    Hanging pedal from walton fabrication

Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Default Update

Update on the brake problems.

Last night I removed the prop valve...no change. I blocked off the front output of the prop valve and the rear is hard as a rock.

I then moved the front line to the rear port....still soft. Problem is in the front.

My buddy noticed that the caliper did not move very much when applying the brakes. He put a screw driver in between the rotor and pad and the pedal felt normal. We are thinking that the pedal plunger is not long enough. We made a longer one real quick...still soft pedal.

What could be the issue? And why did the pedal feel normal after the screw driver test?

I am thinking about going back to my drum brakes....they always worked.

Any info?Have you fixed the issue