Thread: Problem with Vega Power 400 box

Default Problem with Vega Power 400 box

I have bought and installed CPP's 400 series power steering box. After starting the engine and backing it out, the steering is not smooth as I turn the wheel. At one point it is very hard to turn, then after that it is very easy to turn, almost like the wheels aren't on the ground. This happens when turning left or right.

This box is in a 47 Ford Coupe with a SBC using the type II pump. Prior to installing this box, I had a 605 box installed. The 605 had leaks and occasionally stuck. Not good. I was hoping this box would solve my problem.

Does anyone have any input on what is causing this problem?

I would check the rest of the steering components while having someone turn the wheel back and forth and look for a bind in the steering somewere. For it to be very tough to turn the ease up sounds like something is wrong in the linkage somewere. Also, feel free to contact us at 800-522-5004 for more info if you need anything.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Default same problem

Quote Originally Posted by cdcrum View Post
    I have bought and installed CPP's 400 series power steering box. After starting the engine and backing it out, the steering is not smooth as I turn the wheel. At one point it is very hard to turn, then after that it is very easy to turn, almost like the wheels aren't on the ground. This happens when turning left or right.

This box is in a 47 Ford Coupe with a SBC using the type II pump. Prior to installing this box, I had a 605 box installed. The 605 had leaks and occasionally stuck. Not good. I was hoping this box would solve my problem.

i installed same box on 63 chevy2 and have same problem. did you figure out what was causing the bind?

Default Same Vega 400 series Power Steering Box problem with 68 Camaro now resolved

I too had a problem with this smaller steering box and with help from CCP determined that the rag joint extension tube was not drilled out to the correct size. The splined end is supposed to slide past the first set of male splines and onto the second set of splines on the box. This was impossible until someone counter bores the shaft hole to a larger diameter than the bottom of the splines. I also had to shorten the shaft by one quarter inch to make sure nothing would bind. CCP admitted they had made a bad batch of rag joint extensions but no compensation or corrected rag joint was offered.

Default Problem with 400 vega box

Quote Originally Posted by Bobac455 View Post
    I too had a problem with this smaller steering box and with help from CCP determined that the rag joint extension tube was not drilled out to the correct size. The splined end is supposed to slide past the first set of male splines and onto the second set of splines on the box. This was impossible until someone counter bores the shaft hole to a larger diameter than the bottom of the splines. I also had to shorten the shaft by one quarter inch to make sure nothing would bind. CCP admitted they had made a bad batch of rag joint extensions but no compensation or corrected rag joint was offered.
    I put the 400 box in my 69 nova and the steering was fine as long as the front tires were off the ground but when I lowered the car the steering got stiff and the wheel would not turn smooth. Then it started to steer on its own back the left. This is the second box from CPP, the first one was way worse as it would barely turn as all. I have a good ASE mechanic that did the install with me. HELP

Quote Originally Posted by cdcrum View Post

I applied same box to my 67 camaro. I have the same problem. I thought my pump has the problem and I've replaced steering pump with a brand new one. It didnt work. Than I thought the problem was at tie-swap and i replaced it but anyways.. It didnt work too. Could some one show me a way to make it work with this steering box?